A clubhouse with various rooms
Clubhouse is a new social media channel that is currently very popular. Maybe that's because the app introduces a completely new concept: audio conversations with a group of people you don't know personally.
You can compare the app to a real clubhouse full of different rooms. Each room has its own theme and this is the main subject of the conversations that take place there. You can select your personal interests in order to find rooms that fit within your field of interest.
Each room is managed by one or more moderators. They are primarily speaking and directing the conversation in the right direction. The app also offers a button with which you, as a listener, can ask permission to say something. That way you can ask questions or make an interesting addition.
If you want to start a room yourself, there are three options: open, social and closed rooms.
In an open room everyone can follow your conversation, in a social room only the people you follow can and in a closed room you choose who can listen in. When you start your own room, you are the moderator, so it's your job to lead the conversation. And that is exactly what we did.
Which brands excel in the online world and how do they achieve their goals? That was the main question we asked ourselves at our very first Clubhouse meeting. We therefore named the room 'Love Brands'.
To get an answer to all those questions, we invited the talented and experienced entrepreneur Hannes Coudenys. Hannes is a Belgian vlogger and businessman who has launched several brands himself and has also worked with many other major brands.
On his YouTube channel, with over 13 900 subscribers, he posts vlogs about his son, his trips, his cars and his daily activities.
Hannes is also a driven entrepreneur. With his own company Hurae, he devises creative social media strategies for companies and artists. He is also the founder of the pop-up museum Smile Safari, where visitors can create the craziest social media content.
During the interview in our Clubhouse room, we learned more about Smile Safari and Hurea's partnerships and Hannes shared his experiences as an entrepreneur in the marketing world. For example, he told us how he launches the craziest campaigns with small budgets and how he transforms boring products into cool brands.
The Clubhouse meeting resulted in a very pleasant and engaging conversation. The room had about 50 listeners who also had the opportunity to ask questions, make an additional input or share their own experiences. Jef Willem, organizer of Onbespreekbaar, also took the floor with interesting remarks, tips and opinions. Our first Clubhouse call was without a doubt a success!
Our first experience with Clubhouse
Now that we organized a meeting ourselves, we already have a better idea about the purpose of the app and what it has to offer for companies. There is undoubtedly a lot of potential in Clubhouse, but since the concept is completely new, we also noticed some downsides. We put them in contrast below.
- The app is currently only accessible to Apple users. Moreover, you can only join when you receive an invitation from someone who already uses Clubhouse. This is to avoid a crash due to too many users.
- You have to define your interests very strongly to discover rooms that really fit them. The app's interface also doesn't make it easy to quickly find what you're looking for.
- All conversations are live. This can occasionally cause interruptions due to a poor internet connection. We also advise the speakers to prepare themselves well so that they stay with the essence during the call and do not lose the attention of the listeners.
- When you discover an interesting meeting on the calendar, you can turn on a notification so you know for sure when the call starts. Re-listening is not an option on Clubhouse, but thanks to this feature you won't miss any important calls.
- Clubhouse is the perfect place to expand your network. You can easily get in touch with people in your sector from all over the world. It is an ideal way to share experiences and inspire each other.
- With all that remote work over the past few months, we're already a little tired of Zoom calls. Clubhouse is an alternative where meetings require much less effort. You can easily go outside or sit comfortably in your chair while listening to the conversation.
- Lastly, Clubhouse is an ideal way to strengthen your community. You can interact with your followers and fans in a very efficient and accessible way. You can also let them speak to hear their opinions or acknowledge their needs.
Of course we don't know yet whether Clubhouse will develop further, but we can already say that our first experience with this new hype was very interesting and successful!
Maybe we'll meet in our next Clubhouse room? See you then!